As well as this blog, I also have a website and Instagram page with lots more images of my work as well as a few more stories.
If you like woodcarvings, you might want to have a look.

Friday 8 February 2013

Some closer shots of the Grinling Gibbons Overmantle in Bristol Library

I dropped into the library yesterday to do some more research on the figurehead for the 'Matthew' and took the opportunity to get a couple of photos of the Gibbons overmantle in the Bristol Room.

To see my previous post about this apparently little-known oak carving by probably the greatest woodcarver ever to work in Britain, click on this link: http://carvingswithstories.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/grinling-gibbons-in-bristol-hidden.html

It seems incredibly hard to find any recent images of the overmantle online, so here's some. They're a bit dark, as the room is shaded to stop light damage and I didn't want to use flash photography for the same reason. Even so, there's not that many other pictures of them about it seems, so I hope you like these ones!





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I was also amazed that there is not more information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's incredible, isn't it. Thank you for commenting and I'm glad that you have enjoyed seeing them.

    ReplyDelete