As well as this blog, I also have a website and Instagram page with lots more images of my work as well as a few more stories.
If you like woodcarvings, you might want to have a look.

Saturday 27 July 2013

The preview for 'Inspired' at Ashton Court

The 'Inspired' exhibition at Ashton Court is looking fantastic. The invitation-only preview was held today and gave a chance to meet the other makers who are showing.


Today began at 6.45 am with a chat to local radio about the wooden model of the Matthew figurehead that I'll be carving at the exhibition during the coming week from 10am 'til 4pm. Unfortunately I can't really remember what was said as my brain wasn't really switched on at that hour!

The work in 'Inspired' really is inspiring. As with all of Sue's shows, the quality is superb and it's great to be exhibiting next to such interesting pieces.

My contribution is a mammal that would feed on the insects depicted in my 'metainsecta' series. The whole piece is made from found and recycled timber.























I only managed to take a few shots of some of the other work there, before my camera battery ran out. Here's those few to give a little taste of what can be seen. I hope to post some more when I revisit with full battery power;


The table and chair in the foreground are by John Makepeace, the chair and lamp on the far left by Nick Crossling, the glass vase in the window by Becky Wills of Yellow Dog Glass and the bench by Dan Burrough.


This sculpture is by Glenn Morris and is inspired by his travels in the Arctic.


Avril Farley makes these beautiful ceramics with their interesting crystallised glazes.


These sculptures are by Margaret Lovell


This little yew wood stool is by John Makepeace, who is exhibiting four pieces 


I like this chest from Waywood a lot, it's hard to resist touching the surface of it!


Graham Ilkin's 'Betty' chest is full of interesting wood colours and patterns


Jonathon Markowitz's 'Humby' desk and chair have a very cool, clean-lined modern look to them.

The exhibition is on until the 4th August at Ashton Court Mansion, Bristol. You can visit between 10am and 4pm and admission is free.

No comments:

Post a Comment